Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Surveillance Station - appropriate disk for NAS

Hi - Looking to buy Synology DS920+ (or poss DS1522+) for std home use - media management (photos, videos), central music repository, central file store for personal devices (approx 10 - iphones, laptops etc). Considering also using NAS for home security - perhaps just 2 cameras.
As far as NAS configuration is concerned, looking at 3 x IronWolf @ 10/12TB each in SHR /btrfs format in single storage pool; perhaps 3 volumes (one for each of media, music, 'files). Current data needs are approx 8TB, so useable 20/24TB seems OK for foreseeable future. For surveillance - and what I'd appreciate advice on - should I get a single (say 10TB) Skyhawk drive for the 4th bay, setup as a separate storage pool configured as ext4. That way, I minimise write activity on my regular drives (reliability), and effectively wall off surveillance activity from other 'stuff' going on on the NAS. is this a reasonable configuration setup? Other recommendation? Would rather get it right before buying the unit! thanks
It's definitely an 'option' especially if you want 24/7 recording to keep running, without having to buy a separate unit.

Any footage you want to keep longer term, just copy to another volume on your SHR managed drives - then you don't have to worry about backups or snapshots on your CCTV drive.
Obviously with a single HDD there's no drive failure redundancy, but do you really need it for days of footage where the postman delivers another bill, or your neighbour's cat jumps over the fence and walks up your garden path ?

The DS920+ will certainly cover what you need - and there's rumour of a new model soon, so it might just dip in price a bit too. Stay tuned on Robbie's deals for that buyer link to save you shopping around all over the place. Just keep an eye on that RAM usage as you add more cameras, you might need to increase that a little, but 2 should run just fine without needing to worry.

Also, set your volume size low and set an alert to increase when you get to 75/80% - it's a lot easier to add than it is to shrink when you realise you need space for something else. And allow upto 10% total space for Snapshots on a semi regular basis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------