Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1522+,923+ or 920+ for my needs?

Dear Nascompares Team,

I really like your work and i'm happy you are kepping us up to date!
Watching your videos about the DS 1522+, 923+ and 920+ made a lot clearer for me, but im still confused about some things for my scenario....

I'm planing on upgrading my Syno NAS from a 416 to a 1522+ or 923+.
Each would run on a RAID 5 with 4x10GB WD.
In case of the 1522+ i would use the 5th bay for a SSD to host the VM /Dokker images (shpuld increase the VM speed i guess).
I would like to use SMB Fileserver and one VM plus some (2-3) Docker container.
As a Media Server is will be used also, but i'm only hosting via NFS and watch over Kodi an Fire TV Sticks. So i think there is no need for an imbedded Graficprocessor, right?
But how does a VM behave with an Rysen 1600 without grafics? Any experience with that? I'm planning to use a Win10 or 11 VM and there will be some cases i have to play webvideos via browser or vlc.
is this possible or do i have to get a 920+ with an Intel CPU instead?
I read the AMD consumes much more power (1522+) than the Intel CPU (920+). Can you confirm this or is it not that much in iddle mode. Where as i'm not shure, if the Dokker and VM runs continiusly, if there can be an iddle mode for the NAS?

So much questions... I hope i don't overflote your freetime ;-)

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to your answers.

Cheers Marcel
Yes, Plus series models is what you need. New generation NAS models indeed do not have graphics chip built in. But this is not something you need for virtual machines nor for the KODI.
Having a separate SSD in one of the bays is a smart idea. VM will surely keep the SSD awake all the time. But you can manually hibernate the virtual machine.
You may also need to consider more RAM and maybe even NVme cache. But this is something for future upgrades.

I hope this helps.