Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Video Editing

Hello,

I wanted to ask if you would approve/recommend the configuration that I put together.
I am a videographer and want a way to store all my footage and files securely and I want to edit straight from the NAS.
Since I plan to buy a Macbook Pro soon as well, I wanted a configuration wheren both my workstations (My PC and my Laptop) can be connected to.
So i planned this configuration:

Synology DS 1621+ (with 8GB RAM)
Upgraded with a 10Gbe PCI card (with two outputs) so both workstations can be connected to it via 10Gbe
Filled with 6x8TB WD RED Pro in a RAID 5 Array for 40TB usable storage
2x WD Red SN700 500 GB NVMe SSD for Caching

Thank you so much for all the work you put into the website and the youtube channel, helped a lot!

Greetings,
Jannik
Sounds like a pretty good configuration.
You'll need to manage your virtual switches correctly for those 2x 10GBe connections and make sure that you're using the remaining ports for the NAS itself, either by link aggregating them or binding to particular services.
Each virtual switch will give your NAS a dedicated IP address - so make sure they're reserved ones on your DHCP server so they don't keep changing every time you reboot your router.

I's suggest setting your DHCP range from (say) 51 to 254 - then using 1 to 50 for your fixed network devices (Router / NAS / Managed Switches etc...)

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------