Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backup work computers (both Windows + Mac)

Hi, I'm wondering what the best way to backup our work computers would be. I've looked into a synology rackstation but ABB doesn't backup macs and could work around that with Time Machine. Is there a better way of doing this?
Yes, Synology will be the best choice here. Plus series models come with Active backup for business. This not only allows Time machine backups but also Windows and servers system image backups. Then also Drive app will backup the individual flders.

I hope this helps.
I guess it all hinges on what level of backup you need....
Are we talking files and folders, image backups, or entire system that you can virtualise in the event of recovery.

For files and folders, both QNAP & Synology offer Time Machine & NetBack Replicator (QNAP) or Active backup for business (Synology). Alternatively both offer a file sync option per user that maintains a copy on the NAS of what's in the users specified directory folder.

For image backups you could use Acronis True Image - works with PC & MAC (might need different versions or licences) and store the images on your NAS. Acronis is a long term trusted business solution.

P2V for windows PCs that runs on a schedule would be a free 'Virtualisation' route. With the image stored on the NAS you could convert that image to a virtual machine that can be launched remotely via a web portal in Virtualisation Station (QNAP) Virtualization (Synology). Going larger scale VMWare with your NAS as the storage area.

Depending on your selected backup choice, your requirements could grow rapidly, as would the spec of the machine & potential cost. Keep in mind those periodic snapshots the NAS should take and definitely get an offsite backup - even if it's just a disc you take home every night. You might also want to consider a fire-proof data safe (if you haven't got one).

In short there are many options and just as many tools to achieve the desired outcome, but I hope this gives you a few insights, one of which might best fit your needs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------