Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex NAS Selection

Good afternoon. First I wanted to compliment you on your website and very informative YouTube videos. I always check you first when looking for new storage solution.

I am in process of upgrading from a 4 Bay 453be QNAP NAS to an new 8 Bay. I am a Plex user doing a lot of recoding of over the air programs and viewing my personal movie collection. I often transcode 3-4 HD sessions to Roku devices and/or tablets so I want a powerful and future proof system. I have recently been seeing a performance degradation from my NAS to my devices - specifically long buffering times before playing/starting. In addition the actual time to index/record sessions takes forever. I am using a 10GB connection to my NAS and have 4 18TB drives

You originally sold me on the QNAP TVS-h1288X but this is probably an overkill? With you recent article on the QNAP TVS-H874 I am now pausing and re-thinking. Is this a better more economical solution for the home user? Should I be concerned with the elimination of the 10GB RJ45 on this unit? Also will the processor/graphics chip be more powerful than the 1288x? I'm considering the TVS-H874 with the i5 chip.

Also any advice on what RAID (5 or 6) for my new NAS? I"m currently using Raid 6 (32TB) but plan on using my old 4 bay NAS as a backup solution so I could switch Raid 5 (48TB) and gain 13TB of storage.

Finally, in case you have not seen B&H has listed the QNAP TVS-H874 (with i5/32GB Memory) for $2199.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1729142-REG/qnap_tvs_h874_i5_32g_us_8_bay_nas_intel_core_i5_12400.html

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, this i5-based Qnap would perform much better compared to 453Be or even new TS-464. But, the most popular NAS for Plex is actually 873A with PCIe GPU card or your mentioned 88X series. Qnap tvs_h874 will deal with most of the 4k videos and multiple FHD streams though.
Changing a RAID type will not affect Plex performance. Switch to SSD would though. Some people install QTS OS and apps on NVMe or SSD and keep HDD RAID for storage.
Loosing 10Gbe is also not important for Plex.

I hope this helps.