Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Home - Phones, Macs, PCs and so

Hello,
First of all thank you for your hard work. Both your website and videos. They are really usefull.

Right now i am trying to solve my difficult home nas problem.
We have several ios devices, macs and also PC, old files.

We are using an old DS216 for our current needs.
But we need more powerful, mobile backup ready solution.
Also i see that new devices have several new abilities like docker and so on.

I thought i can continue with ds920 from synology.
But it seems TS 464 is more powerful and future proof.
I understand that there can be malware and related attacks to devices but my nas is not visible from internet side i thought it wont be a problem.
Btw, i am interested in a solution where we can easly backup our selected photos / files from our mobile devices.

Sorry for a long mail but can you please give me an advice. It could be a more advanced qnap device but our choices are limited in Turkey.

Waiting your reply.
Thanks.
The simplest solution would be to stick with Synology since you are already familiar with their OS and in many case you can migrate your existing NAS to a newer model without going through the faff of having to copy the data from one device to another.

The DS920+ compares quite closely to the TS-464, with future proof expandability. Add to that QNAP is more tweakable and requires a greater knowledge and they really are mighty close for a domestic / small business user.

When it comes to vulnerabilities - all NAS are vulnerable. Only Synology defaults 'ON' most of their security settings & QNAP defaults them to 'OFF' (but they are improving as they've been quite the target recently, partly because they are so popular).

The way to stay safest is to not allow your NAS access to the internet, but then that defats the object of having a personal cloud v paying someone else (Apple / Google / Microsoft / Dropbox etc...).

I'm sure your already familiar with the capabilities of synology for all your backup needs, but this overview might help refresh how simple & capable it can be:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/solut...nal_backup

Whatever NAS you choose, the range you're looking at Robbie will almost certainly have a referral link you can benefit from.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------