Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IP cameras for TS-453E

Looking to purchase around 4 or so ip cameras for security around my home. Looking for decent quality, we have heavy snow and cold temperature where I live in the winter and humid summers in the 80(f)s.

Looking to maximize my purchase of the TS-453E (thank you, for your great videos that help me choose this model). I replaced a very very old TS-119 I have had for around 10 years or so.

Thank you!

Matt
First off a great choice of NAS.
With two 2.5 GBE ports you could create a VLAN (with or without the router) and keep one for your Surveillance Station / QVR Pro network so it doesn't overlap / interfere with your daily usage. Plus the HDMI ports allow you to plug it into your TV / Monitor to keep any eye on those cameras from the safety & warmth of indoors.

Robbie (& I) have both been favourites of the Reolink brand, which whilst not the highest specifications are more than adequate for domestic and light use. In addition, unlike the NEST & Ring, they don't require ongoing subscriptions. You can subscribe with Reolink, but when you have a NAS, you simply become your own cloud storage.

A couple of key pointers when it comes to choosing. Especially if you want 24/7 monitoring and recording to your NAS.
Battery powered (with / without solar panels) will only do motion recording to a micro SSD. You can transfer the files and use the mobile app to review footage, but you can't stream from them to your NAS for recording.

Surveillance should ideally create a ring around your property that cannot be crossed without being 'captured' when you enter it. So in a regular 'square' house footprint you should consider at least 4 cameras (one on each corner) looking diagonally away to the next corner if they are static. Alternatively dual lens give a wider field of vision. An additional one at the main entrance with 2 way audio is also beneficial that alerts you to motion and you can communicate from your phone wherever you are (in the bath / on vacation in another country).

For your entry door the Lumus is a great choice (I have two of these), or the E1 outdoor was recently added to the lineup and benefits from PTZ capability with person & vehicle detection. Both are wireless, so it you want to trial them in different places (to see where best to fit static ones) you're not tied to one location. You could even just start with these and buy later once you've worked out where to put the others and what requirements you have through trial and error.

You can go wireless (usb power) or wired (PoE power), depending where you're mounting them and if you have the ability to run network access to each mounting point. With the PoE you're going to need a capable switch or buy the PoE injector which will add to the cost, but give you a more reliable connection to each camera.

Since you have heavy snow, the dome cameras make a great choice if you have an overhang you can mount them to so the RLC-520/520A or RLC-820A, depending on requirements and budget.

If you don't have an overhang, then go for one with a 'hood' (or you can mount your own hood with an angled shelf over the camera or upturned offcut of drain pipe) to give added protection from the lens being obscured. The RLC-410/510A or RLC-810A are great choices, and there's a wifi equivalent for both the 410 & 510.

If you want full 360 degrees PTZ capability, then you're going to have to up the budget somewhat - and with those outside your house, you're starting to look like someone that has something worth stealing.

An alternative totally weatherproof cheap option in a little E1Pro or E1Zoom indoors looking out the window or mounted to the indoor window frame, but I'm not sure what glare you may / may not get through the glass.

Hope the info has been useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------