Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suggeste NAS

Currently using Kodi 19.3 on a Nvidia Shield streaming media from a Buffalo LS-QVL/R5 with two 6TB and two 4TB drives in a RAID 10. My media files do not share all the same encoding. I have a few 4K 2160p files. The Buffalo has done everything I've asked it to do. I use the upscaling feature on the Shield, too. I've been looking into media servers.

My buddy has used Plex for many years and so I've seen and used it pretty extensively. I only recently heard of Emby and I'm currently on a trial with them using their Android app on my Shield. I'm still learning what Emby can and cannot do but I think I may pay for their Premium service at some point even though in the back of my mind, Plex seems like a more known quantity to me. Emby is slightly cheaper, as well. Truthfully, the Embruary skin for Kodi that I've been using seems pretty nice even though it doesn't have all of the extras the other two have like, trailers, skip intros, etc.

Regardless of what I do, it's time to upgrade my storage. Remote access and the ability to backup discrete devices remotely seems like a benefit as is the ability to stream or view media remotely. I've also recently learned of Docker and Btfrs support. I don't know what that is yet but it seems like most want the capability even if they're not seeing the benefits of it in their current use. The ability to transcode on the fly is important, too. Or maybe not. My current TV is a several year old 1080p non-smart TV but I want to get a newer OLED for the living room, keeping my current one.

I have two 8TB drives, a 2TB, and a 3TB that I plan to use initially. Once I've established the new RAID and migrated any data, I'll move the two 6TB drives from the Buffalo to the new NAS. Synology seems to make efficient use of HD space with SHR but I'm open to whatever will do the job.
Yes, Synology 4 bay models and up allow you to mix different size drives. So many people start with a pair of two and add more later on.
If you already use ShiledTV, I would not change it. Inside the Plex you can link multiple servers together. So, when you want to stream something remotely, you will be streaming from a NAS instead. Having a new 4TV will surely be beneficial since there is no need for transcoding. Only remotely.
Transcoding 4K remotely would require Xeon, COre i7 or a dedicated GPU card inside the NAS. Or offline transcoding that keeps a copy of a smaller file.
DS920+ would allow a little bit of everything.
DS1621xs+ would not allow drive mixing but would do anything else including 4k conversion on the fly.

I hope this helps.