Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1821+ vs TS873A

Hi again Robbie,

My head is fried! Spent a chunk of time watching a tonne of your videos and reading articles here on your site. I'm wiser, but no closer to a conclusion!

We previously chatted when I was weighing up 4-6 bay nas, but then Synology delayed (or pulled) release of the anticipated 922+ and I thought .... "maybe just go for 8 bays now as that is what I already have with a nas & a hdd tower.

What is there no "one nas to solve them all", it would make life much easier. Loved your video comparison on both these machines and how the qnap giveth but taketh away! It's so true.

I need 8 bays, (I've about 20 3TB drives which I'll be replacing with some ironwolf pro 16-18tb drives. Most of this is media based content. Not looking for virtualisation, surveillance, etc., just ability to view content from multiple sources and remotely too.

My assumptions at present are...
Qnap seem to be getting hacked quite a bit more than synology.
Not sure if I need zfs over btrfs. Especially if 16gb of ddr is needed at a minimum.
Hate that synology is still only giving 1gbe over qnaps 2.5gbe - although you mentioned before about usb & pcie slots being options to improve this.
Hate that neither offer gpu onboard.
Leaning towards synology as you mentioned it's more 'polished' and intuitive over the qnap system..... even though I'm more pc & android than console or apple rubbish.

If synology just had 8 bays, with gpu onboard, minimum of 2.5gbe, amd usable nvme as storage, it'd be a no-brainer.

Any ideas to help me decide? (Apart from what your bideo already mentioned). Or is there a batter 6 bay option available that has most of what I'm looking for?

Thanks as ever...
Based on vulnerability stats, Synology actually had more holes in their system past year. But thanks to the default settings Qnap got hit harder and in bigger quantities. With a correct setup, Qnap will be safer then any other NAS. This involves auto block, firewall and user access rights.
Qnap 64 series are becoming really popular while Synology are abandoning home market and multimedia. https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-664
Synology is good for local use only regarding media.

I hope this helps.