Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VMware

I’m starting to realise that a NAS is much more than just a box to throw data at.
I’ve got a client that I want to replace their NAS, they run VMware. I have previously tried backup devices like Datto that allow the virtualised backup to be run on the backup device when the primary server fails, pretty clever!
I am trying to find a NAS that will provide that solution.
VM back up from VMware and the potential for a reasonably smooth restoration/DR option.

Rather annoyingly I just bought a TS-431XeU and discovered that the boxafe 365 backup software won’t run on 32-bit ARM.
I was planning on running it in my rack in the workshop and provide backup for my clients 365, I bought it in June before they changed boxafe licensing, then when I went to set up last week I discovered that the licensing model has changed, kind of irrelevant because it won’t even run on my NAS :-(
Any thoughts on 365 back up in this scenario?
Looks like I need to sell the Ts-431 and buy something different!

By the way, great article and you covered all the aspects very well but I’m sure you have some more specific advice based on just these two usage requirements.
I’m not concerned about surveillance or other features.

The client with the VMware requirement won’t be using it for 365 back up, only a VM backup solution. Their 365 is backed up elsewhere, using barracuda for mail filtering and 365 back up

Cheers Robert
Yes, I would suggest replacing that NAS with something that has at least Celeron CPU.
Qnap do not offer takeover service if something fails. If you need this, Synology ds920+ will allow high availability. If the main server fails, the other one will take over.
Synology also do much better with 365 backups.

Do check it out.

I hope this helps.