Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1522+ w/ Seagate Exos HDs

Hello,

First off want to thank you for your awesome YouTube videos. I have learned so much via your channel and just love watching along.

Just got my first NAS and decided to purchase the new 1522+ w/ the 10Gb add-on card.

I was originally getting 3x Seagate Iron Wolf 12Tb drives. Looks like it’s supported and not to pricey.

BUT........ Now what I hope to roll with is 3x Seagate Exos X16 14Tb drives. Not only more storage, cheaper at 199.99 on newegg vs 229.99 for the IWs on Amazon, and a better drive right? My only concern is that it’s not officially supported via Synology. From what I have gathered they will work just fine but Synology is just gonna bother me in the system with pop up “warnings”.

Do you have any reasons to not recommend these Exos drives in my system OTHER than the small annoyance of Synology pestering me within DSM 7.1?

Also if you have another drive please keep in mind I'm now somewhat sold on the "Enterprise" drive type and really not looking to pay a ton more markup via "Synology's" rebranded drives.

Thanks for your time and advice,

Josh,

Nashville, TN
Yes, Exos drives are the most cost-effective drives. With all that these are also the ones with the longest life expectancy.
Yes, Synology were scaremongering people into buying their (Toshibas) drives. But with new DSM updates, they are removing lots of those warnings.
You are just fine using them. WD Gold or HGST Ultrastar would be comparable options.

I hope this helps.