Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

change volum

i have 4 x 10 GB on volum 1 , 10 GB on V 2
my plex is on V2 with only 1 TB left, while 21 on V1 which i use for learning adobe PS and AE
i use the Synology raid

i would like to add one of the V1 drive to V2

would appreciate any help
thanks
Hi if you're looking to downsize V1 and move capacity to V2 this isn't possible.

Synology only allows you to increase the size of a volume and not decrease.

The only way to decrease a volume size is to delete & recreate it smaller, but this does mean all the data on that volume would be erased.
There's an article in the Synology knowledge centre that guides you through the process called:
'Can I shrink a volume on my Synology NAS?'

If you ask around on the forum you'll see this isn't an uncommon issue where people create a volume too large.

In my experience - the best resolution is to backup all your data to an external drive (if you don't already have a backup, then this will be an exceptionally useful addition anyway) then remove the volumes and resize to how you want it to be. You can always leave some of the spare space from which you can take expansion as and when required to assign to any volume as it nears capacity.

I personally allow volumes to grow to 80% full with a size alert warning - then increase by 20% each time from free space.

A possible alternative (if the volume is assigned to a specific Raid) is to increase the size by adding larger discs and letting the Raid rebuild.. once all larger discs are added you can expand that way, but without knowing your exact disc / volume arrangement I can't advise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(09-23-2022, 08:30 PM)Enquiries Wrote: i have 4 x 10 GB on volum 1 , 10 GB on V 2
my plex is on V2 with only 1 TB left, while 21 on V1 which i use for learning adobe PS and AE
i use the Synology raid

i would like to add one of the V1 drive to V2

would appreciate any help
thanks

Moving a drive from one volume to another will not be possible without destroying that RAID. But if you are running out of space, you could replace two drives inside the V2 to gain more space. Otherwise in Plex settings you can select multiple sources for your media. Create another shared folder for Plex on Volume1 and add this to your plex. 

I hope this helps.