Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

One or two nas drives (Work / cloud seperated?)

Hi Robbie,

First of all, thank you for all the information and ideas you share on your Youtube channels. It helped me a lot to think in the right direction, I think....

At the moment I'm looking for a new nas, (I have an old TS-419P) because it no longer meets the speeds I need.

Lately I've been hearing a lot about malware and security vulnerabilities and was wondering if it's better to use a separate small nas for the cloud/sync (possibly on a separate Vlan??) or is this not necessary at all?

I was thinking of a TS-873-a for the RAW/video files and documents (I think the TVS-872X(T) or TVS-1288X is too powerful for me?)
or is there a nas I'm overlooking?

And a TS-233 for the cloud stuff (backed up to the TS-873-a (or better not for security reasons?).

I look forward to your response, thank you in advance.

p.s. I have a Macbook Pro M1 ultra and TB4 docking station with 2.5GBe
Yes, 873A is a very popular NAS. It allows GPU upgrade if you do decide to have 4k transcoding. Otherwise, it is still quite a powerful NAS.
If you are worried about exposing your NAS to the internet, VLAN is one of the options. This will isolate your NAS from the rest of the network. This way hackers will not have access to the other NAS which is local only. Personally, I would choose to set up a firewall. Either inside the NAS or even better- using a switch/router with a firewall built in. This way you can decide what IP gets access to your network and nothing else.

I hope this helps.
QNAP have just released a TS-433.

This would allow you to migrate your TS-419P across without having to reconfigure anything major. (It's a supported migration path)
It's a little bit more expensive, but you could reuse all your existing drives and save yourself time & hassle having to set anything up, giving you more time to focus on on the TS-873-A.

But if you want a basic 2 bay - the TS-251D is quite a bit superior to the TS-233 - and has the ability to increase RAM, so would probably last longer for only a tiny bit more money.
https://nascompares.com/buy/best-ts-251D-price/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------