Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD

Hi Robbie, Hope you are well. As you may recall we have spoken in the past on a few occasions & I donated to your coffee pot etc.. Smile

I have a quick question re SSD speed etc..

In process of building 2 or 3 Desktop machines using AMD 5600G processor -PCIe 3 & motherboard is ASUS TUF B550M which has PCIe 4.0. So will I see benefit from Samsung Evo 980 Pro (speed (7000Mbits/s terms of Boot up speeds etc.. or should I use 970 EVO Plus (3500Mb/S read speed) . So the Board is PCIe 4 but the AMD processor is unfortunately PCIe 3. (We chose this chip as it has built in Graphics & is good value etc..)

I tried emailing ASUS & Samsung & it either went into a black whole or the ping pong one company would shift it to the other.

Point here is the mother board is PCIe4 & so is the Fast Samsung EVO 980 Pro 1 TB SSD NVMe - PCIe 3 is half the speed of PCIe4 so will I see benefit in boot up speed etc. if we buy the more expensive Samsung 980 Pro SSD NVMe.M.2 . when CPU is PCIe 3, - thanks

Look forward to your pearls of wisdom & then I will add to coffee pot etc.

Adrian
Yes, you will see a speed difference during the boot up. What happens there is simple. All app data from SSD/HDD need to be moved into the RAM. Faster the media, faster data transfer. CPU indeed also affect the speed of the boot, but the answer is still positive regarding loading times.

I hope this helps.