Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-setup of TS-453D

I bought a TS-451 about 5 years ago and added 1x4TB drives to it in JBOD. i followed this up with 2 subsequent 4TB and then an 8TB. 2 years ago the NAS died(?) and I replaced it with a TS-453D and just switched the HDDs over (no issues there luckily) I have since added a TR004 expansion and a 16TB (my 1st non-WD drive, a Seagate Ironwolf).

My issue is that I am a long way down the rabbit hole, in terms of not having any form of RAID, I do have backup with iDrive, but even that could do with a "tidy-up".

i'd like to know my most pain-free route to getting RAID added to my system - I know my way around a PC BUT ssh and anything smacking of "coding" gives me hives. I seem to have "aged out" of tinkering.

My current thinking is to buy a second NAS (possibly a cheap TS-451D2, set it up using one of your guides and then move my files over. This will obviously need a lot of hardware - I would like an SSD for my primary drive, for running Roon, etc. - and I will need sufficient storage to house the 16TB that is currently on there. The 16TB on has 5ish TB and I could likely move that between the others and a couple unused 2TB so that the 16 could go into the new NAS.

My hope would be to set up the new NAS as well as poss. and then transfer the drives to the 453D, maybe keeping the 451 set up elsewhere and an additional network backup for the crucial stuff?

i didn't like to ask this on the QNAP forum, they all seem a bit to clued up to give me the patience that I suspect that I will need.
Qnap allow migration from basic to RAID1. But since you have set it ups as a Jbod, it will take few extra steps. If you connect these drives via USB docking station, you should be able to copy data to your Qnap. You could start with a fresh setup using an SSD for system installation and apps. Then use other bays in several RAID1 or RAID5- based on capacities you have.
If you wanted to keep system running while doing it, you could free up space from any two bays on your NAS by copying data no bigger drives. Any drives bays can be used to migrate all apps. In combination with NVMe cache, this could improve things.
The old NAS indeed could be used for the backups onsite or remotely.

I hope this helps.
Sad 
>> I hope this helps.

Not completely.

Are you saying that I will or won't need the additional NAS?
If I can save that expense, I will!

Can I buy an SSD (2 tb), an 8tb drive and the 16tb in my expansion (which is NOT a TR004, it's a TL-D400S), add these to my 453d, start from scratch and then migrate my files via USB...?

...or is that wishful thinking?  I'd sooner buy 1x8tb and the SSD than a new box too.

Incidentally, how would RAID 5 work in that scenario, what capacities would it see/allow?

Sorry to fly straight back with more questions but it looks like I've missed 5 years of potential NAS education and it's all gonna fall on me now.

Thank you.
Technically drives in Basic mode or Jbod should be readable when connected via USB docking station.
If you want an SSD as a primary drive where OS and apps live, you need to reset the entire NAS.
If you buy another NAS, you can set it up with SSD as the main drive and add additional drives where you copy your data to from the old NAS. You can not simply slide them into a new system. All data will need to be copied. Either way, backup is something everyone will always recommend (fire, theft etc).
ok, cheers.

I've bought a ts-451+ and 2 x 8TB drives.  I intend to relocate the 4.95TB of files from the expansion across the 3 drives (4, 4 and 8TB) that don't have the OS on, use the 16 from that as a third in a 8, 8, 16 RAID 5 (24TB less parity, 16?) then start migrating files via network.

I hope to be able to switch the RAID setup over to the 453D once it's sorted and settled and use the 4's in the 451 as backup of "essentials", eventually grabbing the 8 from the 453 to get 20ish?

Doable?

BossC@... Huh  
(09-12-2022, 05:03 PM)BossC Wrote: ok, cheers.

I've bought a ts-451+ and 2 x 8TB drives.  I intend to relocate the 4.95TB of files from the expansion across the 3 drives (4, 4 and 8TB) that don't have the OS on, use the 16 from that as a third in a 8, 8, 16 RAID 5 (24TB less parity, 16?) then start migrating files via network.

I hope to be able to switch the RAID setup over to the 453D once it's sorted and settled and use the 4's in the 451 as backup of "essentials", eventually grabbing the 8 from the 453 to get 20ish?

Doable?

Here is the procedure of RAID changing https://docs.qnap.com/nas-outdated/QTS4....B255C.html
I hope this helps.
Cheers for all your help.

All the bits arrive tomorrow...

Let the madness begin!

BossC@... Huh