Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to buy

I have learned so much from your articles and YouTube videos. I currently have. Drobo 5D3 (directly connected to Mac with TBolt) I am worried that Drobo is in bankruptcy and I recently got an email form the company stating support for the next version of IOS is not compatible with Drobo. So time to move systems. Long time ago I had a SYNOLOGY unit but the issue was speed. I went to the DROBO as I could connect directly to the unit but lost network access (not the big a deal as my computer was usually on for PLEX).

I use the Drobo in the following ways:

- time machine back up
- backup of critical files
- store music collection
- store photos not actively being edited
- movies for Plex

I am leaning to QNAP as based upon your videos I can directly connect the unit to my Mac. At the same time can I also connect to the network? I need to connect using TBolt as my Mac only has 1 GB port. I thinking about the TVS-472/672XT with an i3. Also the TS-h973AX looks good and would cost a little less. Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you.

Yes, Only Qnap allow Thunderbolt and LAN connections at the same time. You can run time machine backups as well as Dropbox folder sync/backup. You will also get Audio station app for your music (also with a mobile app). And finally having i3/i5 CPU will allow you to run a Plex media server. If you want something cheaper then h973AX will come with 10gbe LAN (no thunderbolt). But its CPU will only allow local video streaming or remote streaming up tp 1080p. It is better to go for 73A series with PCIe GPU then.

I hope this helps.