Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should I get a NAS or not?

Hi, I currently store all my photos and videos on my main windows machine on a raid 1 array using Intel RST, I'm scared that I am going to get os corruption or malware/ransomware or something like that and thought of a NAS, what should I do.

I mostly have pictures, 4K 60FPS HEVC videos (Windows does support my HEVC videos) and generic windows executables. It's mainly only me who is going to have access to it and only want it online when needed and safe.

I just want to turn it on open my laptop/computer navigate to the network drive, open my videos and photos and files on demand

Thanks
A simple ds418 would allow remote access to 4K HEVC files thanks to its built-in graphics chip.
If you also need extras like snaphoots that can protect against ransomware then DS920+ or other Celeron-based models will allow that.
If you only want your NAS to run when you try to access it then I would recommend MR2200AC router which comes with WAKE on LAN / WAN function. With a power schedule setup up, your NAS will shut down after 30 minutes of no activity. And it will automatically switch on when you try to access it via Quickconnect.

I hope this helps.