Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video production company

Aloha from Hawaii.

Your YouTube channel provides great information for us new NAS users. I actually already have a QNAP TVS-x72XT with 2 18TB Iron Wolf drives.

Don't know what the hell I'm doing though!

Why aren't there larger drives?!

Currently, I have 60 TB archived and we are adding new data at a 1TB/month rate.

Ideally, I'd like to create a central place for all video/photo that can be accessed by editors across the world.

This way I can hire editors to remotely work on projects.

Often times, a single project will produce 400GB of raw video files and I don't know the best way to upload and for the remote editors, how they will download the footage to work on.

I've been told we can work with proxy media, which would greatly reduce the file transfer size and up/download times.

*waves from rain covered England*

Not jealous at all!!

So, straight off the bat (and apologies for if this is condescending, as I want to make sure I cover all bases), your biggest bottleneck there is going to be your upload from your local site. You can definitely use remote protocol compression techniques using the NAS software which will certainly bolster that transmission speed (not for live remote editing, unless you have a near insanity level upload/download speed there). For your QNAP, you can make a start here with this tool - <link removed>

There is a setup guide here, but I think it might be a pinch out of date (QTS 4.4 vs QTS 5) and I should probably make a video on it - <link removed>

Another bottleneck you are going to have there is your drive speeds. Now, let's say you DO have an insane internet plan/connection of multi-gigabit speeds - those mechanical HDDs are going to be less useful in multi-access scenarios and will also bottleneck quite substantially when it comes to mixed read/write activity. I would recommended scaling up that storage and/or adding SSDs for caching to assist in faster in-system processes. Which 72XT series system do you have?

to confirm, where is your current 60TB archive living atm?

Apologies for answering your question with questions! Email/DM me back and we can dig deeper on this.

Thank you for using the NASCompares free advice section. If you are choosing Amazon for your next purchase, please use a link in one of our articles to take you there. It does not cost you anything more and a we get a small fee from Amazon that goes directly into the running of our site and services (which is how we keep this service free for others). Alternatively, you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi or old school Paypal. Thanks again for your message and for using the free advice service. Have a great week.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage