Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

wisdom on replacing and moving data

Good morning,

Thank you for your videos they have been a great help over the years. A few years ago i purchased the DS718plus two bay which as been awesome however over the years yes i have completely filled the storage which is currently two 8tb drives with no mirroring i think its called. I now want to upgrade and watching your video on the best plex nas in 2022 i want to get the The QNAP TVS-h1288X NAS however with everything at the moment its a bit prices so my short term plan due to cost is to get to 16tb iron wolf nas to replace the current drives. so that when i do eventually buy the QNAP to last a hell of a long time hopefully i can then add all the drives together and give me one hell of a plex experience as i do love my collection and how i keep growing it so its bigger and better.

The question is how is the best way to move the data from my current two 8tb drives on to the new two 16tb drives? i have seen these docking stations but was not sure if they would word or there is a another way to do the data transfer?

This was the device i saw on amazon :FIDECO Docking Station, USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 and 3.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD, Support Offline Clone, TF & SD Card Reader, and 2x 18TB Hard Drives

Any help on this would be greatly apricated and thank you again for your videos even though my bank balance does not like them haha
Migrating data from a Synology to a QNAP (or visaversa) is best done with RSync between the Synology Hyper Backup and Hybrid Backup Sync 3 tool. I have made a few videos on this showing migration between them (in either direction) and I would definitely, definitely recommend this method! Also, because you can use this same Rsync job moving forward to merge it to a backup task. I am unable to post links here at the moment, but if you google it, my video and/or article should appear near the top (HE SAID ARROGANTLY!!). Hope this helps bud.

Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage