Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Video Editing

Hello,

i am a FPV Pilot based on Cinematography (i only record on gopros)
so its about 5gb for 5 min.

I wanted to build a nas just for easy Plex acces to my MKV library

but i also started a small business and i have a really messy system with editing and saving my footage....
i edit acutally on my ssds, when i am done i move every file to a hard drive.

now i my main plan was to buy a
"Synology DS920+" and Start with Raid 1 (2x14TB) and add more drives later) to Raid 5....

i know you write i should best get a nas with 10gb port or thunderbolt,
and best with 6-8 drives because of speed....

(my nas is in my office room so it should be as quiet es possible ( i think WD Red plus should be quieter and same speed as Seageate Pro right?

if you could tell me what NAS itself would be good? i would also upgrade drives later on or maybe directly if needed but its so much money for "just" storage so i am a bit unsure...

i dont want to buy a second nas in 1 or 2 years better now a good soultion....

Thank you!
Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can. Let's crack on with your question! So, the bad news is that there isn;t really a commercial NAS in the market right now that actually fits the scenario you are describing, without spending serious £££ - I know, ANNOYING. The DS920+ is a nice solid, prosumer solution and will play the bulk of Plex bits on the LAN, but I assume your media is HEVC (at least the Go pro stuff is) and that is going to play really poorly on a celeron based NAS. If these are just going to be backed up on there, that is less of a concern. But that NAS is a 1GbE system and only 4 bays that, once you factor RAID, is going to start feeling pretty small in a year or two. Now, you can graduate to a more capable system, but then you will need to start being aware of Noise. Aside from the 14TBs you mention being noisy HDDs anyway, the more powerful systems tend to run noisier (metal chassis, larger fans, larger build area for air circulation). There IS a new gen of NAS coming in the next month that I cannot really discuss on the channel coming from QNAP, but this will still be quite a noisy machine. What's your approx budget? reply here or email me on robbie (at) nc .
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage