Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Requesting input on NAS for scientific lab

Dear NASCompares Team,

Happy Monday!
I recently came across your channel and found a lot of helpful information.
We are a lab of cancer researchers and I wanted to reach out for specific advice regarding our scientific use case.

Use case:
Scientific instrument with 10Gb RJ-45 interface, capable of generating a maximum of 60TB of sequential data over three days.

Constraints:
Budget approximately $6K
Should have storage capacity for 60TB of data with redundancy
Must have HIGH sequential write speed for 10Gb network input
Drives should have high workload rating, with equal read/write ops (50:50)
NAS needs to be small and have quiet operation
User friendly hardware and software

After careful survey of the Synology Tower Servers, Accessories and Compatibility list, below is what I thought could be appropriate :
Synology DiskStation DS1821+
Synology D4ES01-4G
Synology E10G18-T2
SSD write cache: RAID 1 Synology SNV3410-800G (2 drives)
HDD: RAID 10 Seagate Exos 16TB (8 drives)

Would like to know if the above components and configuration would meet the 10Gbps input rate or if we need to have a different solution stack.

Kind regards,
Suhas Srinivasan, Ph.D.
Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Department of Dermatology
Affiliated with: Program in Epithelial Biology and Center for Personal Dynamic Regulomes
Stanford University | School of Medicine
CCSR 2155b, 269 Campus Drive
Stanford, CA 94305
Hi and thanks for getting in touch Suhas. Your question is a little broader in scope than I think you need for this forum. You can email me directly on robbie (at) nc , from there I can give you a much more detailed breakdown on your needs. As it stands, I would highlight that based on your data frequency, volume and the near certainty of RAID 6 in it's redundancy, that you should be looking at the DS2422+ at the very least, as those additional 4 bays (as well as the capacity to expand) will likely outweigh the need for the m.2 slots on the DS1821+. There are alternatives I can highlight, but need to know more about your setup. Email me and I can help as much as I can.

P.S. Apologies for the slow reply - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can this week
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage