Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex Nas and Green/Blue WD drives

Hello

First thanks for your site and youtube videos. Great and informative videos.

I am interested in a Plex Server , looking for 4 or 5 bay nas. Will do look to do data back up for 3 laptops. As well as storing my tv show and movie collection. The only thing is i have a collection of WD Green and a few WD Blue drives. This is how i have stored my files other than some on the portable drives. I want to re use some of the blue or green drives for now till i can either replace them with red drives or replace with other blank green or blue drives. Now as i am in Australia i know the costs will be up their but i am curious your thoughts. Also I would like to run unraid on the nas if possible. Or could i be better doing a DIY nas based on desktop/ server hardware. Thanks for any advise.
Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can. So, let's hit each of those Qs! So, first off, you CAN run on these drives, but I wouldn't massive recommend it in the long term. Additionally, I assume they are different capacities, right? That's going to be a tiny bit (single %) dicey in 24x7 stability with mixed cache and clashing firmware on spread reading in a RAID 5/6. In JBOD/Single drive use, that would be better, but still not massively ideal - sorry to be such a negative nelly! If you are going to look at an unraid setup but want pre-built, you can pick up Terramaster's pretty cheap these days (even new Gen) and putting UnRAID on them is comically easy. I have a video going live on this in the next few days, or you can google and find my 'Install UnRAID on a Terramaster NAS Drive' Guide on google (he said arrogantly - but mainly because I cannot post a link here ATM). Hope this helps bud.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage