Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Considering dual system

This would be my first NAS system. I’m looking for secure media and file storage for myself and my extended family who live all around the USA. We currently rely on iCloud for image and video sharing and remote access to files but want to have some thing that is not just accessible to people without iOS devices. Would also like something more secure and private. This would serve as a central device that stores files for several families so having room to expand is important. Have done some baseline research and I’m interested in Synology as as it seems to have good use ability and security. My question is whether or not I need to invest in one very robust machine that would allow for storage all on its own or for added security should I have two identical systems that are separated geographically. Not afraid to invest in something that would allow me to go a few years without the need to upgrade.
Technically if the upload speeds are fairly fast, you may have only one NAS system. Otherwise, you could set up a NAS "mesh points" in each destination. All data is then synchronised between all nodes. Synology will allow you to create user groups and also allow encrypting shared folders if you have sensitive data. Also, Realtek and Celeron-based systems do have multimedia support which allows videos to be converted on the fly if necessary. The basic models to look at are DS218play and DS220+.

I hope this helps.