Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basic Rackmount NAS - thats affordable and safe

I am looking for a simple rack mount NAS to serve as a RAID backup of pictures and videos for the family. My biggest complaint with current Synology desktop NAS is the transfer/search speeds.

I am building a new Unifi network and will have 2.5Gb and 10Gb capability.

I'm leaning towaard QNAS TS-435XeU, but all the security concerns with QNAS have me hesitant. Synology, however, will end up being MUCH more expensive to achieve faster transfer speeds...

I do not intend on streaming media at all, my needs are strictly related to file storage and retrieval. I also do not intend to have the NAS observable/accessible outside of my local network.

So, with that...would you all recommend QNAP or one of the Synology (422/822) rackmount NAS solutions
Yes, there have been security issues lately. But this happened because Qnap tried to make their NAS more user-friendly and ready to use out of the box.
If you have IT knowledge or have an access to someone who does, you can configure Qnap NAS as safe as Synology or other brands.
Qnap 35exu is quite a weak NAS, but with the right setup you can get decent 10gbe speeds https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/performance/model/ts-435xeu
Otherwise, Ryzen or Xeon-based models will outcompete this model.

I hope this helps.