Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1st NAS/photographer

Hi,

Have been subscribed to NAS Compares on YT for quite a while. Realistically, I know just enough to be dangerous...which means I know relatively little...ha. I have a Drobo 5D DAS configured with 5x4TB drives set for single disk redundancy and currently have about 10TB of mostly RAW photo data (as a wildlife photographer, it is growing fast and I'm likely set to start adding video too). I have waffled on which NAS to add for quite a while (haven't yet but keep leaning Synology as much because of software and SHR) and gone back and forth on just adding a newer DAS (I'm aware of Drobo's bankruptcy filing and won't go there). My Drobo has worked flawlessly for five years and I've increased storage to that current 4x5TB). Therefore, new DS1522+ or even 920+ (unless a newer 922+ may be coming)? I have also just upgraded to a Mac Studio from my old 27" iMac. Thought would be to use my older Drobo as an extra backup to the new NAS solution. I'm also laying some CAT6 cable in my house, anticipating future upgradability to 10gb. Many thanks.";}
Yes, DS1522+ would be a good solution since it allows 10GbE upgrades. Its hardware is terrible for multimedia, but simple storage and editing will work just fine.
Synology will be similar to Drobo which allows drive mixing. You will also get things like snapshots that keep your data safe against accidental file deletion or altering.
Qnap photo organising apps have more functions and better AI compared to synology. But again for simple things, Synology will be a good choice. https://amzn.to/3T7jQsY

I hope this helps.