Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology Drive Advice

Hello, I've been following your YouTube series "Synology Nas Setup Guide" but I've become a bit stuck and wondered if you could give any advice?!

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 running OS 10.15 and my nas is the Synology DS220+. I want to use Synology Drive but it seems the on demand sync option is not available on a mac of this age (OS 12 and later I believe). So without on demand sync, what is the best way to stream files to my mac without having to sync everything and taking up space locally? I want to be able to access everything on the nas both at home and at work (the nas lives at work) but I don't want everything pinned to the mac. I use Google Drive currently which offers this type of file streaming and I'm wanting to replace that.

Thanks! And thanks for the YouTube series, it has been very helpful.
Lauren ";}
Yes, Synology have not been able to fix this issue for a decade. If you really need on-demand sync (space saving mode) consider any Qnap NAS. https://amzn.to/3pCw3Ze They managed to figure this out.
Alternatively, you can map a network drive + VPN, so you can see your Synology locally as well as remotely. You can then set up scheduled backups using Acronis or other backups to sync your preferred folders on a computer.

I hope this helps.