Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moving iPad photo library to a NAS

Hello, i want to move my entire photo library from ipad to a nas. About 700 Gb of photos of different sizes from 2mb screenshots to big 60 mb raws. Then use it from the ipad through wifi connection using local network browsers like FileBrowserGO or File Explorer. I was thinking about a 6-8 trays Qnap with core i5-core i7 and m2 ssd drives for caching. Will this give me a seemless operation with no lags or delays for making preview icons, instant opening photos, zooming in/out, browsing, swiping left or right etc. In other words is there such a nas that would give the same seemless operation as on an ipad itself? Without cacheing the photos on the ipad. What would be the bottleneck here - the wifi or the nas latency? My older nases were very latent when working with many small photos, although fast with large files transfer.
Thank you!";}
With a fast local network/internet you could achieve a very responsive photo organising solution. Once you have a fast network sorted (preferable WIFi6 for future proofing), NAS internal disks will be the second bottleneck. Having a library stored on SSD would be the fastest option. But SSD is as cheap as HDDs. Some people create two volumes on a NAS. One for responsive things like Photos and other media. The other volume HDD-based pool for storing less frequently accessed data.
Fast CPU will future-proof your setup. It will also support full 10gbe speeds when you decide to upgrade. Having i3/i5 is more then you need https://amzn.to/3dBvtrI