Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Processor Speed for PLEX - DS1522+ vs DS1621+

Hello,

I am running a home-based Plex server and would like the ability to efficiently transcode in 4k. I have been comparing the Synology DS1522+ and the DS1621+. If nothing else, I prefer the design of the 1621+ and also the extra drive bay would be nice, but not necessary. I also like the ability to upgrade the network port to 10GbE. Processor speed however is where I need advice.

I noticed that the 1621+ may have a less powerful CPU than the 1522+ and I'm wondering if this is true. The 1621+ has a quad-core 2.2Ghz, but the 1522+ has a dual core 2.6 (3.1 turbo) Ghz... I'm not quite technical enough to know which would be faster of the two? Ultimately, I am going to be purchasing the model that has the faster processor and that can transcode 4k Plex most efficiently.

Any advice would be appreciated.
None of these can transcode 4k on the fly. You can use offline transcoding that will generate an additional file for remote streaming. If all your streaming happens locally at home, make sure your vide files can be played on TVs and other devices. This way you can avoid a need for transcoding. If you do need it, try to find DS1520+. Or if you use Plex, consider Xeon based models or Qnap 73A series with GOU card.

I hope this helps.