Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography Nas Options

Hello. I’m a photographer that does a lot of mixed shooting. Video sometimes hoping to do more. I photograph mostly real estate but I photograph anything and everything. I shoot 5 days a week and every shoot is 20-60 gb. I have 8tb internally on my MacBook Pro. Which has been fine for a few months but I’m getting near the end already. I shoot on a Sony a7Riv which is 61megapixels and about 140mb per photo and I shoot 5 shot brackets for one grouping. Anyway, I’d like to keep everything and possibly edit off the drive/nas if need be. I’ve looked at Synology and QNAP. I’ve looked at building my own. I’m intrigued by QNAP because of the photography software and caching on different tiers. I’ve never done NAS before but I’m trying to learn and there’s just so many options. I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Technically you could work with a 1GbE NAS (with a little lag sometimes) or 2.5GbE system reliably. But so many people choose 10GbE connection to work directly from the NAS. This would mean models such as DS1522+ or TS-464 with 10gbe card installed. Or Qnap Thunderbolt models such as TVS-472XT. Synology and Qnap also come with photo organising apps that included things like GEO, face recognition and timeline. Qnap also has object recognition that Synology do not offer.
These would be the NAS models photo editors would choose.

I hope this helps.