Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drobo 5D replacement

Hi,

I found your video on 1522 v 1520. I am looking for a Drobo 5D replacement as I am worried with Drobo being in chapter 11 and Apple dropping KEXT support it won’t work in MacOS Ventura.

I have the 5D in 2 disk failure option with 5x 3GB drives. Synology tells me my drives are not on the supported list. Oh well. At the moment I run Plex from my M1 iMac. If I could move it to the NAS I would consider it. You video seemed to suggest the 1522 would not be a good Plex server.

I would also be happy to go direct storage, but don’t want to fall into the same trap again with software. I looked at OWC, but they want to use SoftRaid and that seems like the 2000s. I would be interested in your advice.

All in all the 1522 would just be extra storage with resilience holding my video files. I will be editing those files via iMovie.

Yes, DS1522+ can be upgraded with 10gbe card. This would allow much faster data transfer speeds. The predecessor is still popular (DS1520+) thanks to its built in graphics chip. If your TV supports all video files, then transcoding is not required. Any NAS will serve well as a Plex server. Synology is one of the leading NAS brands, I would not worry about Drobo situation happening again. Synology and Terramaster are the only brands that allow drive mixing just like Drobo. Those old drives you have would work with Synology, They are simply not recommended if they are not specifically NAS type of drives.

I hope this helps.