Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Router Change

I have two Synology NAS DS212 & DS1821+

I have tried to use them to give my family links over the internet to photos videos Plex website etc. by Port Triggering & Port Forwarding
Used Synology NAS to setup Ports, failed must be Sky's SR203 ???
Tested the ports “all” blocked removed Kaspersky firewall no joy.

Asked all over in forums to get them to work, got some info back but not enough to buy the right Modem Router.
Was “told to buy by retail sellers” and I bought a RT-AX82U but after trying days I gave up and returned it.
Bought a TP-Link VR2100 part worked get to “see” work Wi-Fi internet but could not get DS1821+ to see it! And no where to plug phone into it like SR203 was supposed to have 3 way splitter box in instructions, so again back it went.
Is there a whole Modem - Router in one Box? both that work on Sky's network “I've been told to buy two” one Modem and one Router? Which two? But have read about I could have the problem of double Nat so I hope not ! And still no DS1821+

Here is what i have found out so far I need to select 'Sky(MER)_VDSL from the router list Etc., DHCP Option 61 not sure how to get different information HOPE YOU KNOW? Is this the authentication used by Sky.

Could you help please? I am looking to purchase a Modem - Router that will replace a ISP Sky's SR203 Router/Modem or give me the right info or a link to ask what I need?

One Person told me TP-Link VR2800 connects and works perfectly with Sky Fibre but I don't have Fibre do I? Nobody seems to know if it works with FTTC? And copper wire into the house.

I cannot see all Manufacturing SPECIFICATIONS of the Modem's – Router's available so need your help to not to buy the wrong one again!

At this time I'm on FTTC land line coming into the house, female socket RJ11 on wall would need a 3 way Splitter Box that is all female then fits the BT landline cable – and then goes onto the Router needs to have DSL leads into Router.

What have other people done and replaced it with to replace the SR203 if you could pinpoint me to one that would be great Please as long as it works! And is secure!
If the phone is the Stop to this I could Go without it? And use mobile only. If you cannot help me, who can?
Thank you for your time
Port forwarding often causes hacker attacks if firewall is not configured properly. For this reason, many ISP will block most of the ports from outside on their own firewalls. BT seem to be the easiest to set up. I would consider changing ISP. Often people face issue with Plex remote streaming because of these blocks.
Here is a little guide how to set up ports https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-T...-p/2662260 (but again there might be an external firewall blocking it).
Connecting via Quickconnect would sort out most of the problems (not Plex) https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/he...?version=7 But using DS video app remotely would be a way to do it.
https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/he...?version=7
We have not played with Sky routers. Im afraid we might not be knowledgeable in this field to give a good reply.

I hope this helps.