Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking to get a new NAS and overwhelmed

Hi, I've scoped your site for a couple of years now. I think its time I finally make the jump. A few years back purchased a Synology DS218J on dirt cheap on Prime day. It's done the job fine but I want to upgrade now that Ive maxed the 8T drives. I've decent ability on the computer, but much of the stats referenced are beyond my knowledge level. Ill brake down how I currently utilize the NAS and what I would like to be able to do with a new one. I tend to lean toward purchasing hardware that I think would be considered beyond what is deemed necessary for a home user. But I would always prefer having hardware to grow into, containing interfaces, scalability and above all performance perhaps beyond necessary. The last thing I want to do is wait for something to be processed.

The following might be overshare, but I like to paint a clear picture of where I'm coming from and why. The last thing I ever want to be accused of is putting on airs or fronting.

- I currently reside in a somewhat rural area in what was meant to be a home for my mother which I would visit on weekends, work on and eventually my partner and I retire at. A small cabin-ish place about 1.7 hours north of SF. Cohabitation with mom was a nightmare, she bailed to go leach off her sister when I made it clear this isn't a free ride and she need to help around the house. So now I reside here and care for 3 dogs she abandoned and work on the place. I note this so it doesn't sound like a flippant "Ive got two residences" ie endless funds.

- I'm a Mac user. Currently use a Mac Pro (cylinder style) around a year or two old. 2.7g 12 core. 2T. The footprint fits the space. I'm eyeing a Mac Studio but not ready to throw down. I do freelance graphics and photo editing. Nothing too crazy, no 3D graphics or gaming.

- I find the Synology DSM confusing and not exactly intuitive but can muddle through. Synology often in Help or directive verbiage, doesn't site the exact software, program, heading or process name as it is listed. So it can get confusing. ie: Go to the heading titled Surveillance Center, but actually the item listed is named Surveillance Station or is listed under a different menu item all together. It feels as if all help and direction is written solely for a Windows version and not updated for the headings or names used in the Mac version. Many times hunting around is required. But in the end, it appears to be doing its thing correctly so I'll stick with them.

- I'm not versed in the different back-up types, different RAIDs etc. Why so many? WTF. I just want my shit backed up so I don't loose it.

- My partner resides at the SF home during the week, weekends up here. He has zero tach ability. Works for a law firm so all his devices VPN and can't be backed up on outside servers. So no worries there.

- We currently have a Nest Cam at each home to keep amp eye on things while away. I'd prefer not pay Google the fee for storing our 10 day camera feed. (around $150 pr yr x 2)
So I was thinking since Im looking to upgrade the NAS, I could integrate a security cam setup and get notifications same as Nest. (ideally 4-6 cams here, 1-2 in SF) Because even with Nests system, not all activity is recognized or acknowledged, I lean toward recording 24/7. If I was confident the systems would work as expected, recording just events) Possibly move the DS218J there for security came use or can leave it here and just buy another for SF.

- I don't currently use any sort of auto back-up. Though I should, I find it slows things up at the least convenient time. So I drag-n-drop most everything manually into the server.

- I'm unsure how much is hype trying to get people to buy cloud storage or should I be concerned about ransomeware issues with the server? I don't utilize remote access functions and prefer keep my system as secure as possible with less opportunities for outside access. Also curious about having the NAS backup to the NAS in SF. If so, I need to revisit my data limit with Xfinity.

- Currently stored on the DS218J - A decent size collection of audio files (FLAC, WAV, DSD, AIFF, and apple formats, movies (DVD's saved a files) photography (Canon and Sony cameras) along with various personal files and software.

- I do not use the NAS to process files, only for storage and to maintain a backup. I refer to use specific software on the Mac to play audio and output via HDMI to a home amp setup or to view movies. I prefer the ability to process the files prior top listening or viewing.

- I use JRiver Media Center for audio playback and have a love-hate relationship with the program. Love to audio file processing capabilities. The output can be amazing. But the software is sloppy, has a lot of quirks and their forum style help can be a real shit-show. I've seen some issues in the forums regarding problems with some NAS servers.

-Yesterday, a Synology etch services person recommended I be sure to use Surveillance rated drives. I wasn't aware this was a thing. ?

- Currently my plan is to donate for your time and assistance with product selection, but buy the hardware from a source with tech services to assist with setup and future issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't sound like that's your thing.

- I'm opting not to post this in your forum as my personal experience with forums is rarely positive.