Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Newbie

Hi,

I looking at building a NAS system for home and use as a software engineer. I am thinking of the DS1522 with 5x4TB Iron Wolf Drives or 3x8TB

Reasoning:
1. Current data requirement for home use is relatively small about 4TB. The business use which is the driver for this is unknown but looks to start at 2-Tb. With SMR I will have 10TB for expansion over the next few years.
2. The business use is I have some large datasets to do analysis on. My idea is to leverage using docker to run analysis tools in the background on the NAS.
3.In post pandemic world being able to access data remotely is key. Cloud or NAS are my two options. Looking at NAS as an option, would need to be two-factor auth on encrypted drives to protect GDPR sensitive data.
4.at most 2 two people would be accessing the NAS at concurrently, so 1GB/s ethernet is fine.
5.Would the AMD 1500 CPU with say 16GB. Processing data would would be quite heavy assume 50% of the NAS resources but would need to be continuous. I could easily leave 4GB for NAS use.
6.I am Mac user I don't want to become a NAS expert so the easier to maintain the system the better. Using docker containers being the only task I would want learn in great detail.

From the looks of it all this is doable. Is the DS1522 a good choice. I think any 4/5 bay would be fine as long as it had reasonable memory, the more powerful the CPU the better could even leverage a GPU if it supported CUDA.