Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading to NAS or DAS

Good day,
I am a photographer that works by myself. No staff.
My setup current setup is:

MacBook Pro 2019 16" last of the intel chips, 32 GB Ram

G-Tech EV 2 bay JBOD 1 TB each bay.

First drive is for photos for the current year

second drive is for backing up OS and is swapped monthly of location

Newer technology toaster voyager S3
Drive is the backup of ingested photos to the above G-Tech drive. Also, I swap it out to access past year's photo drives.

CalDigit 3
I can connect the G-Tech (1st gen TB), toaster, speakers, and external monitor (NEC PA272W 2560x1440. Yes, it is old as the hills) to my laptop.

This is my first adventure dipping my toe into a NAS/DAS system.

I am looking to upgrade my current CalDigit TS 3 Plus to the new CalDigit 4 and replace my G-Tech two bay with a new NAS/DAS 4 bay box that can be a minimum of 8-10GB for now. (room to grow) Caldigit TS 3 and G-Tech will become a secondary workstation more than likely.

My idea is to set it up by running RAID 1 or SHR with two to three drives, one as a rotating backup or one drive backup to OS using Superduper.

Hoping the CalDigit 4 with the new 2.5Gbe connection will play nice with the NAS/DAS box.

I'm not looking to connect to the outside world for now, maybe later. I'm lucky to have 20MB where I live in Ecuador. We are way behind the times. FYI.
By moving up to a NAS/DAS am looking to have easier access to a more extensive portion of my past work in Capture One's catalog. I do not need to access my images from outside my office for the time being.

My take from your YouTube channel, it sounds like Synology DS418 or DS420+ may be my best choice for expandability and software.

Cheers~
Kevin