Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moving from Drobo

I've been a long time Drobo user. My Drobo 5D is making loud fan noises and I've pretty much decided it's time to replace it. At the moment I think I've got 4 6tb drives in it and one 8tb. I'm a video editor, I connect direct and edit from it. I've been replacing drives in it once every 2 years or so to slowly get more storage space. That's the thing I've loved about Drobo. So now I'm looking at the Synology DS1821+ or possibly the DS1621+. The only thing I'm curious about is the difference between Drobo's BeyondRaid and Synology's SHR. Are they pretty similar? Ideally I'd like to backup all my data and then use my drives that are currently in my Drobo in the new Synology. But I know I'll need to swap a few of those 6tb drives out for something larger in the next few months. With Drobo, that was as simple as popping out the smallest drive and putting a new one in. Then it would take a day or so and fix itself. Does SHR work the same way? If I start with a few smaller drives and slowly start putting in 12tb or larger drives over the next few years, will that be a smooth transition? Basically the same process as with Drobo?