Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology 920+ for Photo Editing

Hi, started watching your YT channel and appreciate all the info and help you're giving.

I have some basic questions. I purchased the 920+ just today for $450. My QNAP TS-451 bought in 2016 crashed and burned a few months ago and have been using regular ext HD ever since so I'm relieved the 920+ was on sale today as I was trying to hold out for the 1522+ or the potential 922+.

Although I've had the QNAP from years ago, my knowledge with networking and security is still very basic. One day I woke up to see my QNAP was inaccessible (beyond the typical dynamic IP address change). I suspect it was hacked and was encrypted. The QNAP became unrecognizable and inaccessible and I couldn't pull any data off the QNAP anymore. I had an old backup but the whole situation was still painful.

My questions are:
- I'm currently using a 2018 iMac 27" that has a 0.5TB SSD. I take photos and edit with Lightroom. I first copy the photos onto my iMac's HD, do the edits, then offload to an external HD over USB 3.0. I previously hooked up my QNAP to the router and access it as a file server wirelessly to my computer. For the Synology, I bought some WD 8TB 7200 RPM Red Plus HD's. If I connect my iMac to my router, and in turn, the router to the 920+, will editing photos from the Synology in Lightroom be comparable to editing the photos directly on my SSD? Would that be the best way to connect my iMac to the Synology while still allowing other computers to connect to it wirelessly?
- What are some security steps to take at the very minimum to secure my new 920+ so what happened with my TS-451 doesn't happen again?
- In terms of privacy, are storing personal info like family photos better than keeping it on Google Photos/Amazon/Apple iCloud? I trust Apple's privacy policy more than I do Google/Amazon. I use iCloud for my phone pictures, and my archiving is done on the offline ext HD described above. But I'm considering my. photos onto the NAS and backing up my phone photos there too. But I wonder if Synology can be trusted not to send customer info (names of files, even facial recognition algorithms), metadata including GPS coordinates, or even copies of the photos back to the company. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you for your help!