Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP for PostgreSQL and NAS

Hi there - first please let me express my utmost gratitude to you for all the wonderful content you’ve shared on your site and on YouTube. It has been very helpful in me making the decision to purchase and implement a NAS/DAS system.

I am aiming to utilize our new TVS-672XT connected to a PC via its Thunderbolt Titan Ridge card as well as a Mac Studio via Thunderbolt, mainly for setting up a shared PostgreSQL database for DaVinci Resolve, but additionally as shared storage system, and I was really hoping you could shed some guidance as I feel a bit overwhelmed in the set up process.

The drive specs are the following: (6) 4TB WD Red SA500 SSDs and (2)TB Samsung 970Pro fir the M.2 cache.

I was wondering if I should set up everything in one thick storage pool or possibly two, where one is just a static volume for active media and the other is for longer term storage with allocation for snapshots? Is there any drawback to having two? Is there a golden rule to how much space to allocate for snapshots should you opt to do that?

I am a bit worries about all the ransomware attacks going on as of late so have opted to keep the NAS offline and just have it connected to both machines via Thunderbolt - is that overkill? Are there steps I could take to allow it to be accessible via the qnap cloud and not risk getting hacked? I do have a VPN service, is there a way to integrate that into the connection some how? I saw sownthig about static IPs but networking general goes a bit over my head and I haven’t quite figued that out yet. Is that still necessary of connecting via Thunderbolt?

Sorry if these questions are very dense, I just wanted to gauge an expert’s opinion prior to finishing my setup if possible. Thank you in advance for your time and I hope I provided enough insight to be helpful. If not, please do let me know and I can try and explain further.

Hope you are well and to hear from you soon.

All the best,
Josh