Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Synology DS to choose.

Hey there,

first of all I want to gratulate you for your gr8 content and thank you for all the information I've already gatherered.
I'll try to make it short (I will fail).

What I need NAS for:
90% - 95% family photos and video storage in raid for redundance.
Today I have no need for any of the extra features like VMs, transcoding (I can play videos running out of PC) or any additional stuff like e-mail services etc.
The only extra thing I would like my NAS to cover is my home surveillance in the future. I have no cameras installed yet, but I plan to do it. That will be 4 or 5 main cameras around the house and maybe (don't know if thats posible, I assume it is) intercom camera.

So the first question is: 4 bay or 2 bay.
Just for my photo and video backup I suppose 2 bay would do. However I want to keep some headroom for extra features I plan to utilise in the future as mentioned before like surveillance, and also perhaps some more options that at this point I don't know yet I want to use, since I have no experience with NAS (that's why I want Synology for ease of use #iphoneuser).

I assume that I can use 2-3 of the 4 slots in a 4 bay NAS for my raid storage and the last one for surveillance dedicated drive like SkyHawk, so for that I need more slots than 2. I rather would not want to use my NAS drives (in case of 2 bay NAS) for recordings, so either I'll buy bigger nas, otherwise when cameras thing will kick off I will need additional device dedicated for surveillance.

So I was thinking DS418. However, I'm not in rush and as far as I know there will be new devices in 2022 released - both in 2 and 4 bay lineups, so for now I'm gathering info and waiting for new releases. Even if new devices will not offer me anything I really need, perhaps older models will drop in prices when 2022 Synology NAS come out.
I am tempted to go forr DS420+ but thats like additional 1/3 price of DS418 and I might not utilise the plus model fully.

Also maybe thats not a bad idea to consider 2 bay NAS for now for my files, and then get 1 bay for surveillance?

Should I consider other brands?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again
Maciej