Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDD Selection - DS1621xs+?

I just upgraded my NAS chassis to a Synology DS1621xs+ and now looking to fill it with 6x16TB HDD. I want to stay within the listed supported drives and the Toshiba model MG08ACA16TE I can get for significantly cheaper than the Synology and Seagate models.

I can't find any bad press for these drives and as such think they would be no worse than the other drives, but for 40% less.

Do you have an opinion either way?
No one? :-)
I have no experience with the Toshiba's, they would have been the drives I bought but then I found a good deal on the Seagate Exos X16 and bought them instead. (They were cheaper than IronWolf drives and are still Enterprise drives).

I was not worried about the compatibility list from Synology, the drives will work - they are just not tested.
I have a sneaky suspicion that Synology does not validate drives that would put their own brandes ones in bad light. (meaning better price/performance/capacity)

Afterwards I'm glad to have found the deal on the Seagate drives, I'm running 5 in a SHR2 setup and have 1 as cold standby sitting on a shelf.

My systems:
DS1821+, 10 Gbit NIC, 32 GB RAM, 5 Exynos 14 TB (1 spare on shelf) | DS3612XS, 10 Gbit NIC, 12 WD RED 3 TB (one hot spare)