Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Memory upgrade on Synology DS1817?

Thanks a lot for your help and guide. I ordered memory before your answer came in and here's what I bought and tried.http://bit.ly/33aIuPRThe first thing I noticed is that when removing the case of the DS1817 there's an empty DIMM socket easily available, just like your guide below, where I can add a memory chip, but, the second one seems to be located inside and seems very difficult to get to. Is that a good idea to try to remove/replace that memory chip or should I leave that one there and not play around with it?So, for now, I left that memory chip there and inserted one of the two new one I bought, so I would have at least 8 Gb (the original one 4 Gb in the difficult to access memory bank + one chip of the two new one I bought in the empty bank). I started my DS1817 and after several minutes it looked like it booted successfully (disks lights lightened up, it beeped like usual, etc.) but I was never able to access the DSM admin page, my Plex server was not responding, wired connection doesn't ping, etc., I waited about 5-10 minutes then hard closed it (power long press) and finally removed the new memory chip I added, rebooted and it went back online normally. I didn't try again, I didn't try the second newly bought memory chip and I did not try to re-seat the new memory chip, but I can assure you it was properly seated.So here's a few questions if you don't mind;Is the memory I bought from Newegg ok or should I replace it with the Amazon link you sent?Should I try to remove the original memory chip to place the new identical memory chip I have (2 x 4 Gb), in other words, does the NAS refuse to boot because the 2 DIMM are currently not similar?Is it a good idea to try to remove the hard-to-access memory bank located inside the NAS or you recommend avoiding this?Would you recommended trying again with the memory I bought, with the 2 chips one after the other if the first one does not work and try to reseat it more than once because it should have worked with the kit I bought.Should I've been more patient, is there a delay when adding memory inside a NAS and booting up?Is there a way to access a kind of onscreen boot up process, so I could see what is happening while it tries to boot, if there's an error with the RAM, I could see it, just like a missing keyboard when booting up a Windows computer?Is there anything I could check related to this?Thanks again for your help on that matter.

Messages In This Thread
Memory upgrade on Synology DS1817? - by admin - 03-01-2020, 09:46 AM
Memory upgrade on Synology DS1817? - by pplante19 - 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Memory upgrade on Synology DS1817? - by pplante19 - 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM