Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to purchase?

I am looking to replace my Drobo FS with either a Synology or QNAP NAS. I would like to be able to expand to 20TB + in the future and prefer 6bays. I currently store 400,000+ RAW camera images plus all the usual Word, Excel documents for personal use. I use Lightroom and Photoshop. At least three computers will share this device, two with Ethernet and one wireless. The current NAS devices offer so much more that I would like to take advantage of such as Cloud storage and backup to our phone images as well as multimedia source for our 4K TV. I have looked extensively at the Synology DS1621+ and QNAP TS-653D-8G. I wonder if I need to worry about the different file systems they use? thank you for any advise you can offer. Smile
All NAS are able to work with any device over the network thanks to network protocol which translates to your local file system. So this is nothing to worry about. Different files systems support different functionality on a NAS though. But the basics are the same.Both Qnap and Synology offer great multimedia organising apps such as Qmaggie and Sunonology Moments with an AI engine built-in.You can also synchronise your phone multimedia with your NAS and free up some space on a mobile device.DS1621+ has a better CPU for upgrading and overall data transfer speeds. Qnap Celeron based NAS would be slightly limited.I hope this helps.