Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for Windows Home Server?

So, I have a dead Acer H340 that had Win Home Server. I loved the software and it was as simple or complex as you wanted to make it. I was wanting to have a NAS that worked much like WHS. Here is what I would like it to do in order of priority. *Back up Windows 10 computer (Images as well as file History). I have had instances of computers crashing and losing Data. I just don't have time to reload programs and reset up. I have AutoCad and Revit for drafting which are huge files. *I would like backups to happen in the background in the evening so I don't slow computer during office hrs. *Cloud access would be preferred but not necessary. *Plex would be nice to stream movies I have on the hardrive of my Acer H340 TS video files *iTunes server is a nice to not a have to. I want a unit that can use low power when idle. I am open to a Windows 10 computer that I can just use and install 4 HardDrives and then use storage pools from windows but that may not be the most efficient use of a computer/energy use. Are there any suggestions that you can provide me with?
I would recommend Synology. Their backup software creates image backups and recovery disks for your Windows. You can also use the Drive Sync app (like Dropbox) for keeping all files in a folder synced. You can also sync multiple folders of your choice.DS420+ and DS920+ would be a good solution if you also plan to use them for multimedia. Built-in graphics chip can convert those videos on the fly if accessing remotely or simply receiving device do not support certain videos.Having a NAS instead of a PC is more energy-efficient, you get support and updates. And they work on improving and adding new apps and functions regularly.I hope this helps.