Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS220j vs DS220+?

Hi Folks. Currently I have a Synology DS220j for my Plex Media Server, however, recently, I noticed that its lagging while playing videos. I've concluded based on research that it's having trouble transcoding. Is this correct and if so, should I upgrade to the DS220+ or as a future proof solution, upgrade to the DS720+. What are your thoughts on this since video is going in the direction of 4K?
If you need something that can transcode 4K then DS220+ would only cope with DS Video/ Video station app. PLEX demands more hardware power such as i5/i7 from Intel. TVS-672n /872N or even TVs-1282 would do a better job.But those are expensive options. If you are happy to switch to Synology apps then you may fin another way. This could be figuring out why transcoding is activated.If you have no 4K TV, you should only keep compatible format videos or get a new TV. If you use subtitles, try not to.Streaming the original video format does not require transcoding. But you cal also use offline transcoding and generate additional video files compatible with devices that do not work with original media.I hope this helps.