Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for video editing?

Hello NasCompares
I am ready to spend big on a NAS for video editing and I have a last-minute dilemma before I pull the trigger and spend all of my savings..

I teach Animation here in Miami and my home setup has about 7 workstations mac&pc. I have over 10 DAS raid boxes laying around and I plan on upgrading to one big NAS for media storage and for rendering out very large image sequences from Blender. After reading your reviews and guides you have me sold on the TVS-872XT. Although I do not have computer with true Thunderbolt 3 so I do not need all of the connectivity of the TVS-872XT. I plan on just using 10GbE connections and adapters to connect everything. The TVS-872XT looks like the best pro option out there with room for me to grow.

BUT
The dilemma...

NEWEGG has this amazing deal that is too good to be true. This 400$ Asustor AS6510T Lockerstor 10 has the 10GbE that I need and it seems like it would be perfect for my home studio. Your review is very clear that is slow and problematic for multiple users but 5GbE speed range is totally fine for animation and I will be the only one editing at a time. Links Below...

Should I go large or can I cut corners? If you have any thoughts then I would love to hear your expert advice. Thank you for making all of these killer videos!!!
Best,
David

Asustor AS6510T Lockerstor 10 Enterprise 2.1GHz Quad-Core 10-Bay Diskless NAS Network Attached Storage
$429.00
item#: 14P-0016-000E1
https://www.newegg.com/asustor-as6510t/p/14P-0016-000E1?Item=14P-0016-000E1

This looks like an amazing deal https://qnapdirect.com/products/qnap-tvs-872xt-i5-32g-ram-upgrade-with-free-2-x-1tb-nvme-m-2-installed-and-ready-to-go?variant=32085750415411
Lockerstor 10 NAS AS6510T features Atom CPU, which is almost 3 times slower compared to 72XT. As a single user, you would not notice a difference. But if you need multiple users connecting with reliable 10GbE speeds, Atom will not do a very good job. Even TVs-872N with a 10GbE card would be a good option. Having a faster CPU ensure that NAS can maintain a RAID as well as prepare network data packets for sending fast enough. And then there is still more performance available for other things like web/email/video server etc.I hope this helps.