Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap vs Synology?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what NAS to choose for backup files, backup mobile photos, and specialy to have my own cloud, i have the need to access files from lots of different devices and places.

I don't really need a two bay NAS, but it can be a plus.

I also don't want to buy something that in 2 or 3 years is slow and out of updates from the manufactor.

With this, i'm inclined to a Synology, some freinds have them, and they all say good things, but they are somehow expensive versus de Qnap ones.

If i could spend like 200 euros would be ideal, because the other 100 euros would be for a 4TB disk. The cheaper Synolgy models with single bay costs about 110 euros, and that's cool, but they only have 512MB RAM and i don't know if that's enough future proof. The DS 22oj also has 512MB RAM, and that's a shame. For the same price (around 180 euros) i can get the QNAP TS-230, with same processor than the DS220j, but with 2GB od RAM! 4x more RAM

Is it a good choice for what i want, the QNAP? Remember, personal backups, mobile photo backups (google photos like feature) and personal cloud so i can access files fron everywhere, for personal use and work.

Thank you so much for reading this, and keep up with the awesome work and videos on youtube.

Take care

Best regards

Rui Moura
Portugal
Yes, TS-230, DS218 or DS218play would be the cheapest 2 bay models with multimedia friendly hardware. You can access data locally as well as remotely.These models might be replaced next year, but they still do a good job.Bot Qnap and Synology are similar. People do find Synology easier to configure and use, but they are both market leaders in home NAS.DS220+ would be a more future proof option thanks to an upgradable RAM slot. But it costs slightly more too.I hope this helps.