Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP NAS?

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on the new QNAP TS-h973AX-32G. I am a video editor and looking for a convenient way to store all my footage and have easy access to everything all the time. I will need to edit footage off the NAS every now and then. This will mainly be to make edits using old footage etc, and transferring new footage to so we can have always on access to it. I will be running it in some kind or raid configuration which I have not decided yet as I am not sure it I will be on the new ZFS system or not, so you can advise on this to please. I will also be running Plex on this NAS.

I was initially looking at the TVS-872XT-i5-16G, but obviously the price difference is quite significant. Are you able to tell me if it is worth spending the extra on the TVS-872XT-i5-16G vs getting the TS-h973AX-32G. Also what is your opinion on their new QUTS system and ZFS? Or do I rather save up some extra cash and rather go for the TVS-h1288X-W1250-16G. Its almost like there is too many options, and its confusing. At the moment I will only be editing through a 1GBE cable until I am able to upgrade everything to 10GBE. I understand both the TVS-872XT-i5-16G & TVS-h1288X-W1250-16G have thunderbolt ports but I probably would not be able to make full use of these purely due to where I would be placing the NAS & due to the fact that there will be 2 editors who need access to it. So having it connected to the network is the best option. I am heavily leaning towards the TS-h973AX-32G, but my main reasoning is the price which is very achievable. however if you feel it would be better to spend the extra cash then I will have to wait a while before I do anything, which obviously is not an ideal situation.

Storage size wise, I will probably use 16TB drives and start off with the minimum required depending on raid config, and get more as time goes on.

I think I have covered all my needs but if you feel you need more info to give your advice then just let me know.

Thanks so much for your assistance, I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards
Qnap h973AX is actually quite a good NAS and you can make full use of it. It will support Plex as well as do a pretty good job with 10GbE transfers.ZFS files system is quite fixed and does not like any changes such as expanding RAID. QTS files system is much more flexible. But you gen enterprise-level functions like anti-bitrot and so on.Qnap 872XT is a bit faster and features a graphics chip for transcoding. This helps with remote video streaming. AMD CPU would normally use software transcoding which can slow down other processes while running.Qnap h1288X is the ultimate choice for those editing 4K or even 8K. It is twice as fast compared to the 72XT series.I hope this helps.