Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Raid help?

Really need help please, new to RAID, got a Qnap TS-653D on order which I will have 4x 10tb red plus from start, another 2 the same later when I have the money.
90% of this NAS will be for Plex, 2-3 users running 720 and/or 1080 same time. The NAS will be running SABnzbd and Sonarr/Radarr 24/7, and apart from that I will not touch it.
Been told raid 5, 6 or 10, most say 10 as faster, but no idea how faster and if the 5 or 6 is fast enough. Going down to 50% capacity total on raid 10 don’t bother me. I’m edging towards 10 as so many people have said don’t do raid 5 cause parity will take over a day to fix the broken drive and often makes others fail same time so I lose the lot. I will have around 4-5000 movies, several hundred tv series and a few hundred thousand songs. Please let me know what’s best, cloud back ups is a no cause of size needed, and external back up would cost too much and would need several, so any and all backups would be within the NAS,
Yes, TS-653D would be a good choice for FHD videos. Plex could handle several streams of this resolution.If you want a 2 drive redundancy then RAID10 will certainly be better than RAID6. But if you go for RAID5 with one drive failure then the likelihood that the second drive fails during the rebuild process is quite slim. But with no backup in place, 2 drive redundancy will be recommended. But you could get a cheap p series NAS without a RAID and keep it in the basement or loft or friends house. You can then automate backups.I hope this helps.