Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice - Which Nas given current setup and requirements?

Hi

I currently have:
A WRT1900ACS router - Notes: Only supports SMB
2 * Western Digital 4 TB SATA 3.5 Hard Drive - Blacks

I am looking for a 4 bay NAS that I can plug into my router and achieve REAL read/write speeds of ~ 300-600 Mbps+. To achieve this I suspect I'd want to be looking at RAID 5.

This is for home usage and I'd like to be able to dump my steam games on this. I'd also like to be able to expand when I can afford 4*(8/10/16/whatever TB) hard drives

First is this possible? Second What's the cheapest NAS + HD combo that'd be able to achieve the speeds I'm looking for?

I would recommend a Qnap TS-453D or TS-451D2. You can not only have 1GbE but also 2.5GbE or even 10GbE via PCI upgrade slot. You can surely achieve 1GbE speeds via WRT1900ACS LAN ports. WiFi speeds would be affected by interference like walls and other electric devices.Having a RAID5 setup would give you one drive failure protection and yet a decent storage space and speed.Here is a video about Steam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmtGC9b2Qhw&ab_channel=SPANdotCOMReards to the hard drives, any WD Red or Ironwolf drives will do the job. The slowest link in a chain is LAN not drives themselves.I hope this helps.