Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology for MAC?

Hello, i've watched your videos and they have been very helpful! I'm a Mac-based video editor on a 2013 MacPro with Gigabit internet, thunderbolt 2.0 and USB 3.o. I will upgrade to a brand new mac pro with thunderbolt 3 sometime within 2 years. I'm wondering if there would be any direct advantage to using a NAS with gigabit ethernet directly connected to my machine and using it as a simple RAID 5? I don't exactly need any of the IOT features of NAS right now but maybe in the future. I am also kind of far from my internet modem and just use Wifi and not wired ethernet. I'm wondering if I'm crazy to buy a NAS? Would a Synology or other NAS be good for me or should I just buy a "dumb" RAID 5? Any ideas would be helpful
If you are the only person connecting to the NAS it may be sensible to get a RAID-based DAS storage device instead. NAS is useful for collaboration, file sharing, phone and computer backups, task automation, and multimedia. Direct attached storage will often be faster compared to a NAS. Instead of 1Gbit Ethernet or WiFi, you get 5Gbit/10Gbit USB or Thunderbolt. Also, drives inside the box do have their speed limitations, but more drives will surely mean better speeds.If you do consider 4 drives in a box then TS-453D would allow a 10GbE upgrade or TVS-472XT would already feature Thunderbolt + LAN connection.Synology DS920+ with qnap 5GbE adapter would be an option or DS1621+ with 10GbE card.I hope this helps.