Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology Upgrade Advice?

Hi

1st of all thank you a lot for your reviews and I love to View/read them. Excellent work! Smile

Need some advice for buying a new model. I currently own a DS412+ (And for a while it doesn't fill my needs). I manly use this to plex (since not much power for more in idle memory at leat at 70% due to some tools running and only having 2GB), have around 5 users that use plex a lot, but I also use a lot for data backup and use the Synology Drive for work and college, want the ability to create some VMs for some future projects. Also the need to upgrade storage in the future

I have look for the DS1520+ due to the hardware transcoding ability.

But also looking for the DS1621/DS1821 due to their storage upgrade capabilities in the future.

My biggest concern is regarding the 8GB memory on DS1520+ (if I expand with 2DX517) and the hw transcoding capability vs the AMD processor.
Yes, DS1520+ is their biggest multimedia friendly NAS model. DS1621+/1821+ do feature powerful enough AMD CPU which can handle transcoding, but 1520+ would do a better job and have a less effect on overall performance. Having no PCIe slot means there can not be a 10GbE upgrade. But more and more people start using 5GbE USB adapter from Qnap on Synology NAS, which is promising and maybe Synology will make their own version soon.If you consider Qnap models then TSV-872N /672N would be good options.I hope this helps.